- I wanted an app.
- Written in C#.
- Using my favorite framework for webapps: NancyFx.
- I wanted to be cutting edge, and use asp.vnext.
- I wanted to host it on my linux server the cheapest one.
- I wanted to run it within docker.
- I wanted cross platform development, so Kestrel was chosen for running the app.
- I wanted a backend, and RethinkDB looked shiny enough.
This was actually worked.
I installed the dnu/dnx/dnvm-things from Microsoft, It countains all the new cool bits and pieces needed to develop and run .NET.
Using atom, with omnisharp and yeoman.
I got a project up and running fast, and found a semi-compatible client for rethinkdb. But had to write my own session-code to avoid having the deprecated Configuration from earlier .NET apps rain on my parade.
I added nancy through OWIN, and a quick demo-query inside a module, spitting out some JSON, just to see of the bits was talking to each other.
THE CODE IN ALL ITS GLORY!
I built an image with docker, posted it to a registry.
I added a container with RethinkDB to my server, then
ran my own container, with a link to the RethinkDB-one. and LO and BEHOLD:
As a side note, i watched Ben Hall at NDC Oslo 2015 and much of his talk was exactly what i had done a few weeks prior.